Saturday, July 2, 2011

the rosebuds (with other lives) @ the satellite (7/1/11)

Other Lives:

As I Lay My Head Down
Dark Horse
For 12
Tamer Animals
Dust Bowl III
Landforms
Old Statues
Weather
Black Tables

I first heard this band two years ago when they toured with the Decemberists, and I've only become more and more infatuated. Their sophomore album is a gem and not nearly enough people are going to hear it this year, but I was comforted by the crowd's high level of enthusiasm during this set -- you would've thought they were the headliners. And I totally would've gone to that show.


The Rosebuds:

Blue Bird
Go Ahead
Limitless Arms
Second Bird of Paradise
Cemetery Lawn
Leaves Do Fall
Come Visit Me
Waiting for You
Boxcar
Life Like
Woods

Encore:
Cover Ears
Nice Fox

...well, I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it certainly wasn't three songs from Birds Make Good Neighbors and only one from Night of the Furies (their best album, in my little universe). So it says a lot about this band's talent that I still enjoyed this show immensely. They sounded great at all volumes, and highlights ranged from the pure rock-outs of "Cemetery Lawn" and "Leaves Do Fall" to the sing-along finale of "Nice Fox." Also, it is worth noting that Ivan Howard's voice is downright heavenly, so the fact that I accidentally ended up standing right at his feet was hardly a detriment to my experience.

All in all, it was a pretty great way to spend a Friday night. I think I'll try it again next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment