Sunday, July 10, 2011

streetlight manifesto @ sunshine theater (7/9/11)

"Did someone just say 'Freebird'? Punch yourself in the face." -- Thomas Kalnoky

In short: mayhem. Utter mayhem.

In not-short: Ska isn't my scene, but for some reason I really enjoy Streetlight Manifesto. Even so, I don't think I was quite on the right wavelength last night to fully appreciate the show. Fellow big-namers Reel Big Fish co-headlined (RBF played first, and actually had a longer set than Streetlight), but just didn't do much for me. So it goes. Streetlight themselves were enjoyable and all sorts of energetic, but I emerged much less satisfied than at their (awesome) Launchpad show back in early '09. Maybe that has something to do with them not playing my two favorite songs ("The Receiving End of It All" and "A Moment of Silence"), which they did two and a half years ago (that setlist is here -- yeah, I've been doing this geek thing for a while now). Or maybe not. Who knows?

In my review of Interpol's show in April, I noted that that concert was the fullest I had ever seen the Sunshine (still Albuquerque's worst indoor concert venue). This show put that to shame. The place was packed to the point of hardly being able to breathe. Most of these people wanted to annihilate one another in skanking circles. I successfully managed to push myself up against the back wall and just enjoy the band whilst surveying the mayhem. Good place to be. Still crowded, though.

But seriously, it was a fun show. I don't want to cast too bad of a light on it (it's just that, compared to the last time I saw them, this show/venue was a wee bit disappointing). It'll be, in all likelihood, my last Albuquerque show, and it does seem like a pretty good way to go out.

Here's what they played.

Streetlight Manifesto:
Watch It Crash
Down, Down, Down to Mephisto's Cafe
We Will Fall Together
We Are the Few
That'll Be the Day
Failing, Flailing
Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard
Forty Days
Such Great Heights
Would You Be Impressed?
If and When We Rise Again
Here's to Life
The Big Sleep

Encore:
Somewhere in the Between

And if you're wondering, Paul Simon and The Postal Service, the answer is yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment